Friday, May 14, 2010

My So Called B Average Lifestyle

Happy Friday Readers! This is the first time I have seen the sunshine in what feels like a month, so Ive declared it a mandatory good day for all. Carry on.

Last night I started thinking about my life and what I have accomplished in my 26.5 years of existence. I came to 2 realizations. Lets discuss the first one, shall we? We shall. **Side Note** The things Im about to share may at first appear to be boasting, but in fact, will result in self deprecation the further down you read, so hang in there, the self loathing and hearing about me crying myself to sleep at night are just around the bend!

1) In almost every aspect of my life, I am coming in at about a B average ranking. Be it work, athletic ability, home maintenance, appearance, grades, or musical ability, Im probably better than the average person when it comes to execution and results with most of these things in my life. Some real life examples: Athletic Ability-played 3 sports, year round since 5th grade. Made Varsity softball as a freshman, was voted all conference, had the most steals in the conference junior year--go ahead make a Mexican joke, your words cant bring me down you Arizonian bastards. Musical Ability: Was in choir and show choir. Had various solos throughout high school. If I tried out for American Idol, I would make it through the first 3 rounds, no doubt in my mind. Grades: Graduated with a 3.6. Was in Honors English--I know I know, you are like, so impressed right now. Appearance: as my coworker so accurately put it "Maria, you are a high 8, low 9. No way you are a 10. Thats ok, you would hate being a 10 anyways, since you would have to look gorgeous all the time." end transmission.

You can see that, like I said, I've got B written all over me. After coming to this first realization (remember I said there were 2, get ready here comes the next one) I discovered that there is a very simple reason for this. At first I thought that I was just unlucky, or that someone thinks its funny that there are people on earth better than average at a variety of things that will never find suitable employment in this Century because one-man-bands are no longer relevant and dont resonate with the youth like they used to. Then the more I thought about it, the more I realized this:

2) I live a B average lifestyle because Im too lazy to become A+ at any one particular thing. Thats really it. I dont want to put in the hours necessary to become the best for those of us not born with innate A+ talent already--damn you Lance Armstrong and your elephant heart. I dont have enough ambition to become a pro softbll player--as seksi as they all are, or a famous singer, or the first 5 foot 2 inch runway model. I simply dont care enough. Is this sad? Possibly. Do I care? You know I dont!

So I dedicate this post to all of us out there who have ever thought about becoming a professional something, but then realized that it would be way too much work. I hope you spend this Friday afternoon and evening relaxing, and not trying to improve yourself in any way. You are perfect the way you are; slightly above average.

1 comment:

  1. I think the magic number is 10,000 hours to become an expert at something. That's too many hours.

    Don't forget you were also the singer in the best high school band ever to rock.

    ReplyDelete